Mill Creek Environmental (MCE) has been conducting underground storage tank (UST) assessments and closures for retail gas stations, state and county governments, manufacturers, real estate companies, and the owners and operators of commercial and industrial sites for decades. We have completed hundreds of UST removals and closures and have a very high success rate for obtaining a "no further action required" status from state regulators. Whether due to regulatory requirements, property transactions, or redevelopment, owners, operators, and potential purchasers of underground storage tanks may have the need to upgrade, remove, or replace their UST systems. MCE can provide the following services to assist owners and operators with system changes:
- UST Removal and Closure
- Product Piping Removal and Closure
- Closure or Change Notification
- UST Compliance Audit
- Corrective Action Plan – Part A and Part B
- Site Characterization
- Groundwater Sampling and Testing
- Soil Sampling and Testing
- Monitoring Well Installation
- Product Recovery
- Soil and Groundwater Assessment/Remediation
- State Reimbursement Fund Applications
We also provide additional services to assist owners, operators and potential buyers with existing and former UST systems.
Some frequently asked questions are answered below:
What is the LUST Trust Fund?
Need help buying a property with existing USTs?
There are some great deals on properties right now, especially if they have a UST system located on the property. Many of our clients have purchased these types of properties and paid a fraction of their appraised value. State Brownfield Programs offer additional incentives for redeveloping contaminated properties. But be careful because once you purchase a contaminated property you become responsible for complying with all state rules and regulations and for covering clean-up costs.
You want to purchase a gas station property without buying a huge problem? Where do you start? Below are the proper steps to take if you are interested in buying a gas station property:
- Obtain as many records from the owner or bank as you can. Documents to look for include tank and piping tightness tests, UST compliance records, Phase I and/or Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs), regulatory status, and other information related to the UST system and condition of the property.
- Conduct a Phase I and Phase II ESA. Unless there is a Phase II ESA that is less than 1-year old, it is best to get a new one. The Phase II ESA will determine if there has been a petroleum leak or spill that has significantly impacted soil and/or groundwater at the property. Mill Creek Environmental offers competitive pricing to complete a Phase II ESA for a gas station property.
- Use the results from the Phase II ESA to determine your potential environmental liability (the cost to address any problems, in dollars). This will allow you to make an informed business decision as to whether the environmental liability cost exceeds your tolerance for such issues and your budget for the property.
These steps should be completed prior to purchasing the property. The Small Business Administration (SBA) has excellent guidelines for the steps to take when purchasing gas station properties. Another common way to purchase a gas station is to have the current or previous owner indemnify you from all the liability for contamination that occurred prior to the date of purchase. SBA also has a sample indemnification agreement in their guidelines. SBA guidelines and sample agreements can be found in the information links listed below.
Where can I get more Information?
More information can be found at the following web sites:
Call us for a no obligation cost estimate.
Underground Storage Tank Removal & Closure Services
or fill out the form below for a free service estimate.
Call Today to Learn More About Mill Creek Environmental Compliance Services to Help UST Owner and Operators Comply With New EPA - Georgia EPD UST Regulations
- UST Compliance Programs
- 30 Day Walkthrough Inspections
- Yearly Inspections
20 Years of EPA – GA EPD UST compliance inspection, tank removal, remediation & closure experience!